Thursday, April 18, 2013

Can-Do/Can-Don't

In regards to my previously stated objective of eliminating soft drinks, it has taken one week to completely exhaust my supply and I am currently operating sober.  I have spent a good bit of the afternoon debating whether I should permit a small allowance of caffeine-free Diet Coca-Cola, perhaps one to two cans daily, and was prepared to purchase a twelve-pack box at the local grocery.  As luck might have it, the market was out-of-stock and thus provided the answer I was struggling to find.  I might have brought home a two-liter bottle of my preferred brand, but that would have certainly led to its completion by the evening's end.  I also considered trying one of several flavored waters available, but these zero-calorie juice-substitutes resemble Gatorade in appearance and, despite labeling that boasts "no artificial ingredients", list Xanthan Gum and various unknowns among nutritional content.  For now, I will continue to satisfy cravings by brewing Bengal Spice Tea, as its ingredients are incontestably natural:  cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, and nutmeg.  Indeed, what could be more reassuring than a product shipped from Boulder, Colorado's Hain Celestial Group at 4600 Sleepytime Drive?  It feels much more wholesome and mellow than my usual glass of black bubbles with its head of angry foam, delivered to my table in wasteful, chemically-processed plastic or metal.
Reducing my dependency on diet sodas is just another uphill climb among many.

No comments:

Post a Comment