Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The World Is Not Enough (But 1K Page Views Is A Decent Consolation)

Every so often for my amusement I revisit James Bond theme music, a tradition I first launched as a twelve-year-old passenger enduring monotonous backseat, backwoods car trips.  Most recently I was struck by lyrics from 1999's The World Is Not Enough, a sort of sensual slow-rock ballad meant to intrigue and titillate.  The song was recorded by Garbage, which also, incidentally, describes the quality of the film it accompanied.  Within one of the middle verses, lead vocalist Shirley Manson purrs:  "There's no point in living if you can't feel the life."  This struck me as a pronouncement eerily similar to my own thoughts concerning the nature of health and mental well-being, as so much of my time on earth has been spent in a state of heavyhearted languor.  This is what I desperately wish to amend through new approaches to nutrition and medication, social interaction and amusements, occupational accomplishment and creative fulfillment, etc.  

For the last two months this blog has projected the triumphs and stumbles in my awkward progression towards A Better Self, and I thank you for your patronage.  Sometime over the course of today Careful What You Wish welcomed its 1,000th visit.  These page hits are likely not from unique users, but I am satisfied even if a mere one-fifth of that traffic represents actual readers.  On separate occasions I have asked myself if I divulge too much --and also too little-- in these entries.  Am I truly accountable when so much of my struggle remains out-of-bounds?  Or have I already become too intimate, sharing evidence of unmistakable mental imbalances?  The opening lines of Manson's tune reminded me of a blogger's dilemma, especially when said author is illustrating physical and emotional pain:
I know how to hurt
I know how to heal
I know what to show
And what to conceal

Hopefully, my audience is satisfied with what has been presented thus far.  I am not sure how much longer I plan to continue with these posts; I might simply focus less on personal concerns and more on media-related fronts, with developments in film, television, and art dictating the direction of entries.  Whatever the case, I salute and thank you.  My ultimate objective is to ease the worries of others by having broadcast my own.  Be good to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment