Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Malkovich Mandate: "To each his own"

In low spirits.  

Removing increasingly protracted and intensive "power walks" from my life has revealed how much of it was being squandered, as I now face interminable stretches requiring repurposing.  Unprofitable tasks designed to starve and strain have been keeping me from functioning like a "normal" adult, pushing meals later and later --laying waste to any chance of a productive work schedule-- as I resolved to burn-off calories before any more might be welcomed.  Internal energy stores are now being afforded the opportunity to build upon increased food volume and my scale is starting to respond in hesitant increments.  There is more of a challenge now to conduct myself responsibly, as the departure of my sister for England has left the recumbent bicycle accessible at virtually any hour, and it is exceedingly easy to catch-up on reading or television while occupying its seat.  Just as I have had to be steadfast with food intake as my weight inches upward, I must maintain a firm resolve to dislodge remaining exercise impulses.  Although a tad dismaying, it helps that my endurance levels and general tolerance threshold plummeted after cutting back on aerobic activity; this new weariness signals the futility and inappropriateness of straining a body comprised of minimal reserves.

I must admit, the frequent reprimands I receive from one friend in particular have helped me  "soldier on" when my weight woes overwhelm, for his scorn and expressed disappointment register deeply and inspire elevated perseverance.  He has made it clear that my seeming inability to shed disordered patterns frustrates him to no end.  The benefit of an outside motivator is what prompted me to disagree with a passing bit in this August's Vanity Fair.  For years now, the magazine has taken up the tradition of pressing a rotating celebrity guest with a fixed list of intimate questions perfected by and attributed to Marcel Proust.  Last month's interviewee was John Malkovich, pictured below in a print by Society6 artist La May.
When asked, What do you consider the most overrated virtue?, the dignified thespian responded with a dig at those who cajole the defeated:  "[I cannot abide t]he notion that someone can tell someone else how to be or what to do.  As Faulkner said, 'Once a man is in a rut, it's better just to let him stay there.  Let no man prescribe for another man's well-being.'"  I have mixed feelings about this view, as I can speak from experience that recovery is not wholly achievable without the consent and will of the afflicted individual.  And, yes, there are many who purport various cure-all measures --and loudly-- without supplying an equal measure of sugar to their vitriol.  But without a swift kick to the rear many rudderless victims of self-sabotage via addiction and denial would risk sinking further into the comfortable quicksand of a sustainable, yet increasingly toxic, lifestyle.  Perhaps Mr. Malkovich has been fortunate enough to internally reroute life's grievances, finding his answers waiting within.  This is, after all, the man  --ahem, "vessel"-- who housed numerous souls in the excellent, eponymous film by director Spike Jonze and screenwriter Charlie Kaufman.  If you are not familiar with it, I would prescribe it for your well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment