Sunday, September 1, 2013

Thirty Days Hath "Sip"tember: Shifting Gears with Liquid Calories

Mentally and physically impaired by rapacious hunger, I am determined to see September as an open playground for taking-on new strategies in my battle with self-imposed food-denial and detaining exercise requirements.  As of today I have interrupted my precisely observed daily schedule to permit a trial breakfast of approximately one cup granola with unsweetened Almond Breeze.  Earlier, I attempted to create a frappé by stirring skim milk into a near-empty carton of lowfat mint chocolate chip ice cream, but the drink was abandoned when it became clear such a mere serving alone wouldn't yield much nutritional value (nor pleasure, what with its wan consistency and flavor).  I have for now suspended the parameters that made meals verboten should workout commitments not be met; simultaneously, calorie limits have been shelved.  What's more, I am reminding myself of the austere, awkward, and unforgiving policies exacted in recovery clinics, some of which I shall attempt to adopt --regular snack breaks, restricted movement-- with others eagerly abandoned, most notably the limited menu options and mandatory seminars on all-things-eating-disorders.  I intend to gain weight on my terms and even now feel a surge of self-empowerment (which, admittedly, I may be confusing with the energy provided by the discussed changes).  I shall continue to experiment with the NutriBullet blender received one week ago on my birthday, funneling vitamin-rich ingredients in the form of kale-fruit-yoghurt smoothies --but not in replacement of over-the-counter Orgain, Boost, or Ensure supplement beverages.  A potassium pill is also being considered to address electrolyte imbalances and prevent heart disease, not to mention cardiac arrest.  I still entertain the notion of visiting McDonalds or the local ice cream stand for a shake, but I cannot imagine swilling such a heavy dessert without great strain and discomfort to both mind and maw.  However, until I can trust my own hand to mix such drinks without excessive, purposeful dilution, this and other fast food staples are amongst the simplest, most immediate vehicles for the substantial calorie influx that healing requires.  Yes, I hesitate when considering their reputation for integrant fat and cryptic additives, but with weight gain such elements generally come part and parcel.
Assembling the components for my first NutriBullet smoothie
...which I paired with now-customary chocolate Orgain, Aug. 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment